Author: Sarthak Bhalerao
Table of Contents
- What is the Rank Function?
- How does the Rank function work?
What is the Rank Function?
The RANK function is categorized as an Excel Statistical Function. The function returns the statistical rank of a given value within a supplied array of values. It is used to determine the position of a specific value in an array.
How does the Rank function work?
=RANK( number, ref, [order])
- Number – A number for which the rank is to be found
- Ref – This can be a list, or an array, or a reference
- Order – The order in which the numbers should be ranked. This is an optional parameter
The RANK function returns a numeric value.
- If an order is 0, the numbers are ranked in descending order.
- If an order is not 0, the numbers are ranked in ascending order.
- If the order parameter is omitted, it assumes the order is 0
- Applies to:
Excel for Office 365, Excel 2019, Excel 2016, Excel 2013, Excel 2011 for Mac, Excel 2010, Excel 2007.
Assume we are given a list of employees with their respective medical reimbursement expenses. We wish to rank them according to total expenditure.
The result we get is shown below: